Sunday, November 21, 2010

Co Op: Imitating Proenza Schouler

I opened my email this week to find a message from Jacqueline entitled "Can we please have a craft day and make these". She directed me to the blog honestlywtf.com
She referred to their November 16th entry about the amazing Proenza Schouler necklaces from their Resort 2011 collection. Here is the inspiration:


These inventive girls gave step by step instructions on how to make our own versions of these colorful necklaces. So we set a date, shopped at Walmart, Lowes, and Hobby Lobby for our supplies and got to work.

Here are several photos of my necklace in various stages. All in all I was pretty happy with the outcome. It did take quite a bit longer than I anticipated. I am not a patient girl and tying friendship knots for a couple of hours was tough to take. But all in the name of fashion, right??



If you want to tackle these necklaces yourself, we did discover a couple of helpful tips. Do not buy thin thread for knotting. Get the mason line that the girls at honestly...wtf? suggest. We found thread we thought was pretty with gold flecks, and it did look great, but it added hours to our production time! Also, we most definitely think you need 2 yards of the thick twisted cord!

Here is Jacqueline working on her necklace. I especially like how she tried to summon Proenza Schouler awesomeness by covering her wrists in bracelets similar to the ones in their ad.

Her sister and my cousin, Jenny, joined us for the fun and three plus hours of crafting and here is her creation in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment