Saturday, January 8, 2011

Recipe Recruits: Ginger Dinner

"Edamame! Come on guys, Edamame!" is what I heard Delaney (3 1/2) yell from the other room after I placed the first dish on the table. My kids don't love "green" foods but they love edamame so we have it quite often. Tonight I topped it with a little gray salt thanks to Costco, whose spice aisle has decided to make it accessible and affordable to the masses.


We ate our edamame with a couple more recipes I tested out from Radically Simple. I made Ginger Bouillon with Enoki Mushrooms. I couldn't find Enoki mushrooms so I substituted Shiitake instead. I wanted more ginger flavor in it but liked the inclusion of crystalized ginger and will work on this one a bit to make it more to my liking. But it was a good excuse to use my pretty spoons that I got at Pearl Market in NYC a few trips ago. And the kids were so excited that I let them use these spoons that they ate the soup too.


The other recipe I made was Spring Mix with Carrot-Ginger Dressing and Proscuitto. First off, I am used to eating my Proscuitto on melon and have actually never cooked it to crispy before. Now I am hooked and will use it on many more dishes instead of bacon. The ginger dressing was great and I am glad I made extra for saving in the fridge for later. I added some mushrooms to the salad since I had some leftover from the soup. I will be making this salad often!


The only thing this dinner left me thinking is that I really should have made my favorite ginger cocktail from Bistro VG in Roswell to go with it, thus completing the Ginger Dinner Trifecta. Next time I will remember. If you want to try it, here is the recipe:

Mix equal parts Domaine De Canton Ginger Liquor with Champagne. Add a squeeze of lemon and serve over ice. I would be remiss if I didn't warn you that it is a bit strong so you do not want to make this on a night when your to do list is really long.

No comments:

Post a Comment