Monday, November 22, 2010

Imperial Fez

We don't have many options when it comes to Moroccan food in Atlanta. I have searched for it ever since I spent time abroad in France and loved tender lamb served with couscous and garbonzo beans found in many restaurants. The major place to find such a dish in the city is Imperial Fez. This is not just a restaurant but a total dining experience.
I first went to Imperial Fez for my 16th birthday and years later ventured back for my first and very favorite New Years Eve with my husband. It has been 10 years since then and we went back this weekend to see if much had changed. The place was packed. Not an empty seat, or in this case pillow on the floor, could be found.

After taking off our shoes and tucking them away on shelves inside the front door, we were led to our place on the floor where we lounged against giant pillows. After washing our hands over a beautiful sterling bowl with hot poured lemon water, we embarked on our tour of Morocco through our five course meal. We started with Harrira Moroccan Lentil soup served with honey toasted bread. We moved on to Moroccan Salads that contained roasted eggplant, spiced carrots and raisins, cucumber, beans, and much more. Then came my favorite part and the dish I still remember from being 16. It is a pastry wrapped around ground beef, raisins,nuts, and spices and finely dusted with powdered sugar. Delicious and perfectly savory and sweet. Around this time the lights dimmed and we watched as belly dancers filled the room, spinning and dancing. Finally we chose our entrees of Cornish Hen Tangine served with apricots, ginger, saffron, honey and almonds for my husband. I enjoyed the Lamb Tangine with 32 aromatic spices, onions, raisins, and almonds.

We had eaten way too much to partake of the final dessert course of Mint Tea and Fruit Pastries but our waitress gladly wrapped them up in a to go box for us to enjoy later.

No comments:

Post a Comment